Sunday, December 4, 2011

ROCK'N'ROMANCE WITH GENIE GABRIEL

After the re-issue of the three books my Rock'n'Romance series two weeks apart, I'm tired--in that pleasant, just-drifting-off-to-sleep way that comes in the afterglow of truly satisfying events.

At our writers' holiday party, one of the newer writers in our chapter was talking about the struggles and confusion she was feeling about her work in progress. I remembered my own journey to publication. So many times I wondered if I would ever sell a book, let alone two or three or an entire series!

I was again reminded how much I have to be grateful for, including the re-issue of THE ROCK STAR, THE BODYGUARD, and THE LEADER OF THE BAND. And much to look forward to in my writing life with a new series being released starting in March 2012.

WHY HEROES CONNECTED WITH A ROCK BAND?

I'd like to share a bit with you about my Rock'n'Romance trilogy and why I chose to write about heroes connected with a rock band.

I've already confessed on my Rock'n'Romance blog to being a "Rock and Roll Wimp"--no heavy metal, please. :) However, like most teenaged girls I knew, I had a crush or two on a rock star. I went to some concerts and even got up close--but not personal--when members of the band signed photos or other momentos.

When I began writing as an adult, I applied that famous "what if" question writers use a lot. What if a crush on a rock star became more? What if it became a personal encounter? And what if that encounter wasn't a fantasy, but turned into a traumatic experience that changed the lives of both the enamored young woman and the singer? That was the idea that sparked THE ROCK STAR.

Then, as seems to happen when I write, secondary characters demanded their stories be written. So THE BODYGUARD came to life. The heroine wanted to share her story to lend to courage to other women who might find themselves and their children in violent situations. The hero, however, really kept his emotions tightly inside. Only as the book progressed and his attraction for the heroine deepened did he allow his true feelings to peek out. When Mitch and Julia teamed up to rescue her kidnapped children, they discovered their own Christmas miracle in what my first editor called a "feel good Christmas story."

THE LEADER OF THE BAND has a different tone than the first two books of the series, because the hero and heroine are different than characters I usually write. In fact, Zach was the antagonist in the first book of the trilogy--though he does start his journey to redemption. This book brings him up short by the guitar strings so he is forced to examine his excuses for not pursuing the dreams of his heart. These dreams include making a commitment to the former beauty queen he has loved since they were both teenagers.
BEST WISHES AND AN EXCERPT!

And now I'll leave you with best wishes for a wonderful holiday season and an excerpt from THE LEADER OF THE BAND.


Staring at the woman in the mirror, Lauren slowly pushed the gray wig off her head. Her naturally blonde hair lay matted forlornly against one side of her head. As she turned her head, a white bandage became obvious, framed by a semi-circle of close-cropped stubble around her ear where waves of golden hair used to flow.

I could have lost my life instead of my hair, she reassured herself. Still, a spiral of panic threaded through Lauren's belly.
Sometimes Lauren disparaged her beauty, especially when lechers with insulting hands expected free access to her body. However, she also knew her physical appearance garnered many opportunities a plain woman never enjoyed.
Now, hidden out in a retirement center and disguised as an old woman, no one had spared a second glance at her. Hadn't she wanted to be respected for something that didn't depend on good looks?

A commotion at the door startled Lauren away from her own musings. Zach slipped inside and slammed the door shut behind him. Then he leaned against it, gulping deep breaths of air. His silver-streaked wig hung precariously over one ear; his satin smoking jacket was missing the belt that knotted it jauntily around his middle when she left him less than fifteen minutes ago.
He slid the lock into place and limped toward Lauren. "Whoever said women lose their libido in old age never visited this place."
He flung the wig on the bed for the cat to play with and sat beside Lauren on the vanity bench. "How are you doing?"
Lauren shrugged. "Have the police found any sign of Matt [my son]?"

Zach's fingers tiptoed across the bare skin at the back of Lauren's neck. "Nothing yet. Johnny is spending most of his off-duty time shaking up the homeless hangouts. But they're a tight-lipped bunch. Don't talk to cops much."

Zach's lips touched the cool skin of Lauren's nape. "He'll be alright."
Her shiver this time wasn't from fear for Matt but the trail of Zach's kisses across the base of her neck. Funny how being in a place with older people had eased Zach's mind about aging. These men and women hadn't given up on life when their youth faded. They still indulged their passions and their dreams. They spoke their minds and pursued what they wanted without regard to what others thought.

They were free in so many ways from the restraints and criticisms of the world. Free from their own unrealistic expectations, yet at peace with taking risks and trying new experiences.

Why had Zach feared growing old? "Will you make love with me?"
Lauren turned and stared at Zach. Disbelief, humor, interest, and eagerness flickered in her eyes before she placed her hand in Zach's.


A BIT ABOUT ME

For years I've been fascinated by the puzzle of why some people collapse under life's traumas and others emerge triumphantly stronger. These triumphs of the human spirit over the ugliest of adversities became the basis for my stories. Yet my dramatic stories have always contained touches of humor, and sometimes I have great fun writing romantic comedy novellas. However, in all my stories, my passion for writing romance is an outlet for the powerful messages that people can overcome great difficulties, and true love can turn life’s heartaches into happily ever after.
You can read more about me and my books at www.GenieGabriel.com and http://rockandromance.blogspot.com/.


ENTER MY CONTESTS!

One lucky commentor today will receive a gift certificate for a free e-book from Rogue Phoenix Press. You can also go to my Rock'n'Romance blog to be entered in a drawing on December 10 for a $25.00 gift certificate from Amazon.com.


THANKS TO CATHRYN!

Many, many thanks to Cathryn for letting me be a guest on her blog!

9 comments:

  1. Genie,

    Aww, I've already fallen a little in love with your rockin' heroes, just from reading about them here.

    Thanks for sharing your great series here on my blog,

    Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This series sounds cool and different from what I usually read. Can't wait to check them out.

    mythic021@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get on the ball and get the rest read. But this time of year it's hard enough to find time to write! Hope the reissue does well, I love the new covers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathryn, thank you so much for letting me be a guest here on your blog--and for your kind words! I am delighted to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Vanessa! Hope you enjoy my Rock'n'Romance series! I've really enjoyed revisiting these characters since the books have been re-issued. In fact, I posted some short excerpts about the pets in this series on the Rock'n'Romance blog **http://rockandromance.blogspot.com/**. If you stop by and leave a comment, you'll also be entered in a drawing for a $25.00 gift certificate from Amazon.com.

    Thanks for stopping at Cathryn's blog to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Paty! I so understand the challenge of carving out time to read. I keep telling myself to plan a time between writing stories to spend at least a week catching up on all the wonderful books in my to-be-read pile. Someday...

    Thank you for stopping by to say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I think you already know this story, funny how one blog spurs an idea then a similar questions is asked on the next blog. You know my Rogue, part American Eskimo and part Sheba Enu. (have no idea how to spell this)
    He loves to stick his nose in my husband's pockets then do a grab and run with whatever he found. I started a book with this premise set in regency period and he is owned by a pick pocket. Only the dog does the actual stealing. Got to finish that book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Chris! I want to read the rest of the pick-pocket dog story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One final comment before I sign off: CONGRATULATIONS to Vanessa! She's the selected commentor of a gift certificate for a free e-book from Rogue Phoenix Press.

    Thank you so much, Cathryn, for hosting me!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I love to hear from you!